Fix just called me, his R9 380 has been sent back to Sapphire by Scan as they've verified a fault with the temp sensor. Sadly this might mean a 2-8 week turnaround on him getting a replacement.
Scan wouldn't change it as it isn't under their warranty but the manufacturers.
He's said he might have another card lying about but it'll likely be shit, do you have one chains? (I literally, on Wednesday sold my R9)
This might impact LAN night and we might need to delay it until his replacement arrives