[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - GPU's

GPU's

For technical discussion about hardware, games, gadgets and anything else similar.

GPU's

Postby Fix » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:45 pm

So when I upgraded my compy, like anyone you have limited funds, I didn't purchase a GPU and have been quite happily using the MOBO's built in Radeon 4200. Within the next couple of weeks, I'll be purchasing a new GPU. I've not researched too much into this but I'm looking to spend £100-£150.

Thoughts?

I've seen this one here, looks alright.

.... found same card for over

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Re: GPU's

Postby Machine » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:33 pm

I've had good stuff from Asus & Sapphire, and bad stuff from MSI and HIS (my current one is HIS, it's great but it did have a major problem when I bought it which needed a recall).

You had an MSI one which was pants, it froze randomly.

Look over at ATI.com for the model range, I'd get something DX11 compatable, again, keep going up the scale till the bang for buck slows down, I'd be expecting to pay around 130 quid tops.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:50 am

130 quid should get you a Belter card, means you get at least 2-3 years out of it and aren't too fussed when it finally snufs it (as they nearly all do these days).

Only ever went upto 200 once for a card and wouldn't do it again, burnt itself out in 18 months, even though it was amazing (ran stalker np off the bat), it wasn't worth it in hindsight.
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Machine » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:11 am

Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Mon May 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Had a look around for my Saturday purchase and it's looking like the ATI HD5770,

After also listening to Chains I've decided to go for a high-end Dual core instead of a slower triple or quad, I'm looking at the Phenom which gets favourable reviews and is reasonably priced.

I imagine the end thing will be similar to Fix's performance wise.

I'm also getting a new case so my old one will be up for grabs! (Grabs, I mean swapsies) I'm going windowless, although my old case isn't that "blingy" The front being very conservative, the wife has authorised something more subtle. Next case will be STEALTH BLACK! Black case, black inside of case, black DVD-R, Black fans, Black PSU!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Great stuff. That card is one up from mine - the difference can't be huge, as isn't the price. Mines a 5750.

I'll take a look at your case. I've also got some other bits you might be interested in when your here.

Fix

Postby Machine » Mon May 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Sounds good, I'll bring my tool box, you can swap and change as you see fit, if you fancy a change of fan colour for example. I have also got some standard fans in various sizes.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby bigd » Mon May 17, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm running a 5750 as well and I'm happy enough with it. Performs well and having HDMI out is incredibly nice.

If you haven't decided on a case yet, I'm quite happy with the Antec Two Hundred. Looks nice without being too flashy, and it only cost me $45.

In fact, here's all the stuff I bought a few weeks ago: . Nothing too exciting there, but it all seems to be solid enough.
bigd

Postby Machine » Mon May 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Thats what I'm looking at.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Tue May 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Pretty much all using the same graphics card at the minute then haha.

Had my HD for a while and it's fucking nice, everything on Arma cranked up and no jarring or loading unless the server is playing up.
Other games obviously run smooth too.

Only thing holding my rig back at the moment is still using XP.
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Machine » Wed May 19, 2010 8:52 am

I've looked at some reviews for that case and discovered it has a bright blue LED in the grille at the front. So I'm looking at others. I need it to be black and not lit up like a christmas tree!

Looking at the Antec Three Hundred...

The PSU is at the bottom of the case which is appealing...
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 am

I guess your hotlinking days are over, bucko!
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Machine » Wed May 19, 2010 10:16 am

hotlinking?
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Wed May 19, 2010 11:05 am

SIMPLE Wikipedia entry for my SIMPLE friend :)

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-linking
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Wed May 19, 2010 11:17 am

Fix

Postby Machine » Wed May 19, 2010 11:45 am

Odd, that site let me link and check it but then didn't clear out my cache... ghey or what, but yes, thats the one. Simple, black, and ergonomically terrific!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Wed May 19, 2010 2:56 pm

This is ergonomic and simple:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/182588
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Wed May 19, 2010 3:45 pm

faggorty.

Fix

Postby bigd » Wed May 19, 2010 4:28 pm

If it's anything like the two hundred (which it looks to be) it'll be fine. I'd note that the two hundred has a slot on the front for hot-swapping a sata drive, if you're into that kind of thing. Otherwise they look pretty much exactly the same aside from the style of the front panel.
bigd

Postby Machine » Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Yeah, the 300 doesn't have that, it was an aspect of the 200 I liked but I didn't like the "spiderman"esc front grille. TBH though, when I consider how often I actually want to hot swap a drive, it's nearly never so I'm happy to just take it's pants off and perform the ad-hoc insertions manually.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Fri May 21, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm ordered, it's awaiting collection on Q-Collect I went for the 300 case in the end, picked a few simple fan controllers and a pack of 20 silicone rubber mounts (there will be too many so others can use too) which will hopefully keep things quiet.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Return to Techy Stuff