[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - Chains' New PC

Chains' New PC

For technical discussion about hardware, games, gadgets and anything else similar.

Re: Chains' New PC

Postby Fix » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:38 am

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:54 am

Yeah I got the same, must be because the van crashed and you parcel is in some ditch somewhere ON FIRE!

I once saw an article about different cooling options where they made a perspex case for the pc and filled it with cooking oil, it actually kept the temperatures pretty low!
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Machine » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Oh that's Gay, anyway, they've been delivered now to my next door neighbour who hilariously has a last name of "Bone"
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:16 am

Right, only my GPU fan came yesterday, CPU fan is due today, for reference : , .

The stock cooler which had clearly degraded somewhat as both Fix and Chains had lower temps, was giving me 62C Idle and 91C Load plus a heap of noise.
The new GPU Fan took about 30 minutes to install, idle is now 32C and 51C Loaded, wife commented on nice quiet room. I happy.

There's still a hum from the PC which I think is the 92mm CPU fan, the Zalman is much larger so I'm hoping that removes it and cools the CPU down some more.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:55 am

The Zalman looks like a component from a nuclear vault from the 1940's, I'm sure it'll work for a while until it breaks and your forced to leave your home by your family until you find another one that works, only to find you've become something else in their eyes and are cast out, exiled.

Fix

Postby Chainsaws » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:49 pm

I'll put up with noisy fans rather than splash out £50 on replacing them! Too rich for my blood this hand, I fold!
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:20 pm

21C Idle is quite nice though! a BITCH to fit though. Took about an hour as Ihad to take the whole damn board out. Gonna stress it out now.

Very quiet now, very quiet indeed.

EDIT : Just hit 18C
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Image1.jpg

Well, it cools! After a stint on FONV it's not hitting what it would be IDLE on stock cooler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 pm

I'd expect no less for the price you've paid. I'd be chilling my fucking bacon and other meat products inside my base unit for that price.

I expect you to be 100% on tomorrow nights gaming night now, none of this fucking about like you have been.

Fix

Postby Machine » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 pm

It's about a third of the price of a water cooling setup, and c'mon, I had a bloody heat issue there, how long before I had to fork out 90 quid for a new GFX card when mine tipped 110C and fried itself? A stitch in time if you ask me!

And listen fuckface, I've been 100% last few gaming nights, I'm even hosting games! So ner... don't make me get all Rob King on you!

EDIT : 15C Ok ok, I'll stop going on about it now you grumpy bastards.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 am

That would be good since
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:56 am

Jesus, you need to CHILL OUT, maybe somebody should install a fan on your face? Installing the bracket would be a pleasure on that skull of yours.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Looool! I don't have to pay to be cool.

Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:43 am

Seemed as good a place as any to continue the new computer conversation...

Speaking with Fix and have been thinking about this time next year going for something like , pre built Mobo, CPU, Memory, just drop it into your existing case with existing PSU / GFX and away you go, each one matched and tested for you.

This is especially appealing given the stage of life we're at...

I've upped the saving to £30 a month from here on out, so this time next year there should be ample for one of the sub £300 bundle plus some other bits like PSU and mechanical keyboard 8-)
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:36 am

Its a good idea, I'm interested to see what you pick up in a years time. I don't think in one year your PC will necessarily *need* updating either.... which is a nice position to be in, to be able to just burn cash on something nice basically. I can't commit £30pcm because they don't pay me the big bucks but sticking a fiver or a tenner away a month for your hobby is easily justified away.

Not sure on those bundles... I'd like to research whether they are indeed value for money for all the parts (and the convenience of time saved and the backup of warranty / guarantees etc) - It probably is as you can't put a price on convenience.

The 'Pro Gaming' section in Scan, I can't see where the prices are coming from. PC's with more memory than mine but equal > less CPU and much less GPU power is valued at £500+ - No way they're worth that. Overall I'd value my PC as it is now at about £600-650... but I can't put a price on time spent building it... it didn't take that long but I did research it whilst I saved for about 3 months beforehand.

I reckon I can make many cheaper improvements to my rig first to make it better before I consider a bundle. 6gb RAM could be 12gb. My old HDD's could be SSD's. CPU can be updated too, although the lowest priority of all the upgrades. After all these are done, I might consider a bundle after some feedback of others experiences.

Fix

Postby Machine » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:46 am

I'm note sure yet, going to research it, and there is an enjoyment building your own PC, especially as now we have our own houses you can dedicate the entire dining table to building it. One thing to add is those bundles are pre-overclocked and ran for 24 hours solid to ensure stability, not sayin that's "worth it" but in addition to the convienance you've got that too, personally the first thing I'd do is clock it down 200mhz or so for longevity.

Oh and I'm sure you can set aside £20 a month, you did that whilst saving up for a huge wedding which can't have been cheap!? Bonus time does help too. I've not budgeted for money given at Christmas so if it gets a boost around December that'll be why. Also I'm cutting down majorly on shit impulse puchases on games that turn out to be shit, or SIPOGTTTBS as I'm now calling it, (SIP-OG-Tubs)

I guess ultimately what I'm trying to avoid is that huge chunk of money being required for an upgrade, and not having it, or being anywhere fucking close! It's the guilt free "this is mine" I'm looking for and the easiest way to do that is to spread out the saving over the largest amount of time.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Right over lunch did a quick calculation on the £280 bundle they've got there.

280-(81.16+50.36+33+50.62)=64.86

So, it costs you 64.86 for this bundle over assembling it yourself, plus that bundle is overclocked. Is that worth it? personally I think not and will probably get the individual parts, perhaps using the bundle as a template so I know the components work well together.

That money could get you most of an SSD, another 8 gig, or a mechanical keyboard.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Nice to know, I can run prime95 or memtest myself for sixty quid!

Also most of those bundles have only(!) 8GB of RAM. At the price it is now there is no excuse not to put 16 in.
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:43 pm

Not forgetting each component you looked up will also have a markup of its own, the margin is probably greater than £64 for Scan... but not for us.

Use as a template guide. You could also just spend a fiver on a PC enthusiast magazine; it's a good way to find out what works well together. Usually they'll be a PC build section.

Fix

Postby Aggamemnon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:36 am

I haven't been looking at prebuilt and tested bundles from a pc company, but there are certainly deals around which include middle range Mobo, CPU and Ram for a one off price.

If you can get them on sale / offer they could definately take some of the work out of building or upgrading a rig.
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Machine » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:00 pm

£40 gets you a 120 gig drive which can easily be partitioned into OS and games drive,
£60 quid gets you a 240 drive and £100 gets you a 480gig drive.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:43 pm

Be careful of these lower priced ones,. Kingston had a shit storm on its hands a while back because they cheaped out on some of the techier parts and even though it performed the same in benchmark tests they were shit in PC's that needed to access a lot quicker.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Techno ... B00A1ZTZOG

read the latest reviews
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Machine » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:07 am

Yeah, I got a couple of OCZ ones back when they were new, mine worked but a gift I'd got for Fix was broken, too late to return it too.

I'd only buy Crucial, Samsung, Corsair now.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:18 am

SSD and memory on my wishlist so I'll be looking around at Christmas time for any good deals.

Fix

Previous

Return to Techy Stuff