[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - Computar problem

Computar problem

For technical discussion about hardware, games, gadgets and anything else similar.

Computar problem

Postby GRRRR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:32 am

GRRRR
CLASTERFACKK

Re: Computar problem

Postby Machine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:39 am

My first thought as you described it was perhaps Sound card drivers, but your error log shows clearly that it must be something to do with your Graphics card, specifically I believe something to do with the Source Engine which both PayDay and L4D use.

Vista to Win7 could possibly cause the issue but I doubt it.

So, first suggestion would be to completely un-install your ATI Drivers and re-install the latest from AMDs website. The faulting DLL is "aticfx32.dll" so at the very least this will replace the file with an up to date version which may well plug that hole. I'm not a fan of updating for the sake of it (I get bugged by the updater ever day to go from v11 catalyst to v12 but decline) but there is something wrong here and it does look like it's with the graphics cards dlls.

The other item I see is the c++ runtime, perhaps go to microsoft website and grab the latest runtime, if a specific part of it is causing the access violation they may have fixed it in a later release.

Lastly, get Direct X again, it'll probably say everything is fine, but is in your error log so we should probably check.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:18 am

I agree with Mach almost completely there except:

I despise upgrades in Windows because it generally takes all the problems from one OS and adds them to all the problems in the new one. I would recommend in future that you avoid them whenever possible. That said, there's not much you can do about it now and if this is your only problem, as Mach said, it's probably not the cause.

Check the steamapps\Payday (or whatever it is - not at my games pc right now) folder and check for any add-ons like DirectX or Runtimes - they are often in their own folder in the root of the install for games. If you can find anything give it a run, it will be better than grabbing the newest DirectX from the internet as games might refer to stuff in older versions and you need to repair the version that came with the game. I fixed one game on Steam in the past doing this (though I can't remember which).

Try launching the game and then alt-tabbing out and starting Mumble (so it's not running when the game launches). Not expecting this to work really but it's an easy one to try and it's fixed a few issues in the past.
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Fix » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 am

Problem is so vague you'll have a painful task of ruling in or out everything from hardware to software to dicky installs.

I'd choose a game that crashes the most, like Payday you can pretty much guarantee each round (online) will crash. Then I would;

-Disable sound
-Disable any software anti-virus.
-Disable any other software that loads up with the machine, such as LogMeIn, Hamachi, Origin etc etc

Then play the game which (hopefully) won't crash. If it does crash then maybe use something like which a good friend of mine told me about - so when the PC does crash you'll have a report of the last files used / touched. Might give you a clue.

Reboot and start again, but disable one less thing each time. Eventually you'll find the game crashes when maybe your sound is enabled - then you can look at this area further, like changing the Hz settings or something or changing the drivers.

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Postby Machine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Oh god yes can't believe I forgot that one, ProcMon, set it off monitoring everything with the payday.exe to start with, play it till it crashes and look at the last thing. (it'll be a file or process)
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby GRRRR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:39 pm

I dont think its sound card/driver related, i once disabled my sound card completely and still had it hang, also i upgraded sound cards a while ago (some ol crappy sound blaster audigy to a xonar dx) and with both i had the freezes. Complete switch of hardware and software and the problem persisted, seems to be the most unlikely cause at the moment.

My dx and c++ stuff should be up to date and ok, ill run a manual update on that tho. ATI drivers as well (on 11 and keep declining the 12 update too :lol: ) and i had this over several verions of drivers but i guess ill do a thorough deinstall - driver cleaner shebang just to be sure.

This procmon thing looks great, ill just have it running everytime i watch a movie or play a game and see if it catches something. Even if it doesnt log an error with the time stamps it should be possible to see what causes the bloody thing to choke.

Thanks guys :)
GRRRR
CLASTERFACKK

Postby Aggamemnon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Uninstall everything microsoft has auto-installed.

Get a redistrubatle version of.

Ati drivers.
.NET drivers.
Runtime c++ drivers.
Then make sure you don;t have onboard reatlek sound and if you do, update the realtek drivers as I had the same shit (but didn't crash) because they are really flaky with installing over the inbuilt ATI HDMI drivers.

Also double check your hard disk DMA mode is set properly in the hardware properties (check the settings read as Ultra-DMA)

After all that verify your files on steam and wipe the cache.
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby GRRRR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Nothing conclusive with procmon so far. Mass Effect 3 crashed like a bitch constantly so i thought i had something to look for but then after a stealth patch (Origin : Wuts patch notes?) its just fine for days now. Oh wait thats actually a good thing :?

"Everything autoinstalled" is abit vague, you mean drivers? All manually installed. UDMA is on, got onboard sound but thats disabled in the bios for ages so it shouldnt interfere?

Will try all the other stuff around the weekend when i got the time but mostly energy for an installation orgy. Got a crapload of different c++ distros installed all the way back to a 2005 version, that crap might actually need a wipe. :P
GRRRR
CLASTERFACKK

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm

My old mobo had onboard sound and it was fine for ages and then one day I started getting crashes. Eventually I discovered that the onboard sound was really buggy and disabled it and the crashes went away.

You probably don't have the same issue but it's worth trying.
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Fix » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:04 pm

I had a random crash issue for years, very similar - the only way I got out of it was paying £400 for all the components of a new PC - that got rid of it. You should try that :P

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Postby Aggamemnon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Fresh install of windows 7 has resolved all the issues I was having that where not connected to a failing PSU (and fucked replacement psu).
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Return to Techy Stuff