[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - Machines ISP Move.

Machines ISP Move.

For technical discussion about hardware, games, gadgets and anything else similar.

Re: Machines ISP Move.

Postby Machine » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Yeah, I've certainly not noticed any of the "old chains" excuses anymore!

Now to get Nuttah a proper router and a decent joypad!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Right, I'm looking again.... because BT's line rental is bloody stupid and I know I can get it (much) cheaper.

I've found a £30 quid a month deal for FTTC, It'll be the BT network I'm piggying onto (but not sold to me by BT, sold by XILO/UNO) I'm aware that this is a separate modem connected to a router, mine won't cut it.

Does anybody else have this config and what routers are you using? I need one with semi-decent QOS and traffic shaping, for example stopping the phones sucking up all the bandwidth when they decide to backup photos!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:14 pm

It's here.

Old.

New.

21st Century, here I come!!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:37 pm

+ REP!

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Postby Machine » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Cheers, it's much faster, you can tell right away when using it, costs are similar to old arrangement.

Really pleased also the new router has a tonne of extra functionality like limiting the bandwidth of wireless devices meaning when wife connects phone and uploads photos it won't murder the connection!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:59 pm

You can throttle individual devices? That is awesome I have to admit.

Now go download Max Payne 3 or Titanfall as a test :P

Fix

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:53 pm

Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Machine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:31 pm

I noticed when I uploaded some pictures yeah, it's tonnes faster!

I'm going to contact Uno about taking over the line rental today as it's cheaper than BT, but also, I'm not getting speeds > 40/20 but I'm paying for 80/20, so makes sense to ask if there's any point me paying the extra?
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:30 am

Had Virgin maxed (200 now days) and stuck on sky at the minute, I sincerely can't comprehend how anyone copes on anything less than at least fibre in this day and age.

I'd have to say having tried top and bottom, paying average for average sake is more than enough with most suppliers.
If you can d/l at 5-20meg a second you are golden really.

I've not had much use for upload speeds but anything above a few meg is always handy for the few times I have.
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Chainsaws » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:53 am

Yeah agreed, I'll let someone else pay the luxury for top speeds because even with fairly heavy use regular fiber is plenty.
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:04 pm

I took your advice chains and have bought a (hopefully better) router in order to deal with the disconnects, or prove it's the ZyXEL router.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

So far, really easy to setup, connected just fine and is chugging along nicely. If I get a session longer than 24 hours it's a winner!

My BB disconnected on the 29th May, didn't reconnect until I rebooted the router when back from holiday on the 3rd - a router that doesn't reinitialize the connection - useless.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Good choice on Amazon, if it's a POS they'll take it back even opened.

Fingers crossed!
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:14 pm

solid connection so far, so touch wood, it was a poo modem to blame.

I'll try argue the point with Xilo and get them to take the modem back if it is. (I paid some for it)
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:57 am

3 days, solid.

I bet it stays up all week. I'm glad the ISP can see my sessions too as proof.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:24 am

Great news! I know they're pricey bits of kit but considering how much we use the internet for it's just not worth putting up with a crap one. Maybe see if you can get them to send you a free replacement as well so you have a spare if you ever need it?
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:37 am

Good idea, would probably just sell it though to make up the cost of the new one.

Anybody in the market for a router I can totally recommend Asus, they've done a cracking job on the hardware and interface on this one. Just realized, I've now got an Asus screen at work, Asus Transformer laptop, Asus Router... omg asus fanboi.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:56 am

Ahhh how times change. It feels like just yesterday that your brother was stood on my porch destroying a set of golf clubs while screaming and frothing about " Fucking cheap Taiwanese shit" and here you are relying on products probably made by the grandchild of the same worker who made those golf clubs for nearly every aspect of your life!
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Okay done with Virgin after the letter we got today.

In the market for a new ISP budget is around 25-35pcm.

Vodafone is in the running. Any other suggestions?

Fix

Postby Machine » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:13 pm

"the letter we got today"

We need to see this.

Check out for the top "rated" ISPs in the UK, Uno tops it at the moment but I think AAISP did for some time prior to today. I'd recommend UNO as they've been awesome. It is worth reading the first page of comments to see if the recent feedback has been positive, for example lots of people on the Fast.co.uk page complaining about throttling now.

Remember to factor in line rental, Uno's is cheaper than BTs, others may have packages like this too.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Well had a fucking nightmare removing myself from sky, but thankfully got a half decent customer services guy 4th time around. Took him 5 minutes to clear up a continued charge from when we left in May. Absolute wankers.

Back on Virgin and getting a strong 103 mbps down but I am quite lucky to be in a tech heavy area (lem is on 200+) and not a big population near me.
Standard middle rate tarrif. Line Rentals all round are a piss take at the moment but Virgin still let you get the all in saver by paying up front which knocks off about a months worth over the year. They say you cant use this with a package but any operator will over ride that with a quick chat once you get the account.
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Previous

Return to Techy Stuff