Rig Update

For everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Rig Update

Postby Fix » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Christmas is over and its time to update the rig again!

Basic specs are currently...

AMX Phenom II x2 550
6gb RAM
Radeon R9 380

The obvious weak points are the CPU and RAM. 8gb I'm seeing as the 'norm' now when it comes to AAA rated games and the CPU is strong enough to cope with the likes of GTA - mostly - but I have to sacrifice a lot of graphical guff and there are framerate drops sometimes. Also the memory I believe is the issue with the road not appearing that me and Kasto get.

I don't have any SSD drives either which I'll eventually get around to looking at. I'd like to avoid a re-install for now, I just need raw power and memory to complement my GPU, I'll check out SSD's another time.

I've already got 16gb Corsair RAM that doesn't fit in my current motherboard too (XMS3 x4 4gb DDR3 1333) so memory is covered.

Budget around £150 ish.

I'm looking at this MSI motherboard and an AMD CPU. Memory is compatible as is the GPU. Looking for most bang for buck.

Other concerns are - swapping out the CPU and motherboard / memory without re-installing the OS.... never done this before but I'm sure its possible. If you type 'swap moth...' the first suggestion is swapping the motherboard without reinstalling Windows. In Windows 10 as the licence is associated with your Microsoft account, re-installing is apparently very straightforward but time will tell this.
Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Re: Rig Update

Postby Machine » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:19 pm

I bet you can call up MS and get Windows working, I was going to do this but everything on hold until I sort another car out for Char, any money at all is going towards this now (which sucks a bit but I'll get something later in the year, first world problems and all that)

I'll watch with interest, and maybe copy some ideas - mine doesn't struggle with GTA like I hear Kasto and you do (buildings popping in) but I have SSDs which I think might be a big reason.

I would really recommend getting SSDs, it'll transform your computers.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Yes SSD is the next update after this I reckon... hey if the MB+CPU transfer goes tits up and I have to reinstall the OS then I may as well look to do that on an SSD right?

So update. I've gone for;

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition CPU with a ASRock 970 Pro3 motherboard. I'll fit this with the 4x4gb DDR3 RAM I already have. Think I'll notice a nice difference in performance! :P

Ordered from Scan in the end, prices were slightly more expensive than Amazon, but the items are available immediately (although I'm getting the gear Friday delivered) Amazon I'd have waited over a week for the sake of a tenner.

Will let you know how the installation goes. I probably will be on Thursday but won't be on Friday or Saturday. There is a small chance for Sunday.
Fix

Postby Machine » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Mine is a Quad core 3.4 with no notion of "boost" so you should hopefully find at least once everything is loaded in that it behaves really well :) You should notice a difference right away. Good luck building it, much easier these days but always an event I find. Black editions are intended for overclocking and whilst you probably won't, I always feel at least that they provide some headroom.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Archie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:05 am

Probably going to be good. :) I don't have any experience with AMD so no input from me. :P
Archie
Got fingerbanged by his basketball team!

Postby Fix » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Update.

Installation went well, now running with 16gb with a six core AMD 6300. Couple of issues though.

After a Bios switcheroo, Windows booted normally but its now not activated. Apparently quick to re-activate but I'm getting a message from Microsoft that their servers are not available at the moment.... wondering its because I've silenced Cortana (meaning I can't just press the Windows key and start typing either) so might have to re-enable that.

Stupid one but I didn't realise that the new motherboard doesn't have an IDE connection. I know right now some of you may be like... bloody still using IDE?! Well yes one of my drives contains a load of games ('DRM free') and I don't use it for anything else.... so I can't hook it up. Shame... just means I've got to re-install a few things and I've got less space. However it was my oldest (and noisiest) drive so its probably a good thing I've been forced to drop it. I may be able to get around this as well perhaps with an USB/IDE external thing temporarily.

Drivers for new motherboard are on a CD and I've not had a drive connected for yonks. Oh and that's IDE too so I'll have to ISO this driver disk when I get into the office :P

So far tested GTA, which I'll have to learn to play at a better framerate (I know that sounds weird but you really do get 'used' to poor framerates you sort of have to re-learn / adjust how to play) and I have Skyrim on with ENB heavy and plays at 60pfs sick. Wondering what else to test :D May even give Batman Arkham Knight another chance now I've got 10gb more and 4 more cores than I used to.... if it doesn't run on this, really fuck it.
Fix

Postby Fix » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:22 pm

Further update.

Re-entered licence key and Windows all activated now... shame I couldn't do it the other way by signing in but got what I wanted anyway.
Fix

Postby Fix » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:17 pm

Final update. Batman Arkham Knight works stunningly.
Fix

Postby Chainsaws » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 pm

That looks like a nice upgrade! Can't believe you've had that kind of performance boost for £150! If I did that with Intel I'd probably be paying more than that for just the CPU.

See you in Feb-March when you've finished catching up with Bruce :p
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Machine » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:35 pm

NIce update, glad it went well, good that Windows just worked after a bit of jigging about :)
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Since updating my PC, I didn't realise that I've also gain a heater. Damn thing is HOT when running the likes of Batman. Idle or in lower spec games its fine.

Going to have to look at the airflow before the weather gets warmer.
Fix

Postby Machine » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:04 pm

I still get good results out the Zalman, it's cooler in my PC than the room at idle. Having the wood burner on maximum can't help either, I often game in just shorts, great for reaching my nipples when Kasto speaks.

Stock coolers are pretty basic but better than they were years ago. I wouldn't run one indefinitely.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Hmmm something I've never done before. I ran the old CPU with the stock fan for about 6 years without any problems.... but this is noticeably hot, something I never came across before either. I was initially thinking of updating the secondary CPU fan, the one that sucks the heat out from above the fan blowing out directly on top of the CPU.

I think its because the motherboard is bigger than the previous one and its left very little room beneath the GPU and the heat accumulates there too.

I'll tidy it all up inside and see what I can do with airflow first but then look at these options.
Fix

Postby Machine » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Not sure if it's possible with the clips on the new CPU but the zalman is screwed either side of the mobo in a vice like grip, it is therefore possible to really tighten it very hard. (See backplated one below)

I imagine if you don't do it tight enough it might not function as well.

Yours might be the "clip" type (I hate those) where you just hook it round the plastic bit of the CPU seat. If the CPU paste was pre-applied and it's a clip type then you can't possibly have messed anything up and this is as cool as it's gonna be. Google the operating temps of your CPU and compare using Speedfan or the like.

The 120mm fan slots in your Antec case can provide huge cooling if you fill them all.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Return to General Discussion