[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - The Machine

The Machine

For everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: The Machine

Postby Machine » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 am

Good video on what they've basicly done : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTo0c_6YTK4

Also, Wife is late with baby, by this Sunday it'll be 14 days so they'll induce. At the latest we'll have a kid Sunday night! Yes yes, I know this means that I might get another gaming night!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Haha.

Good luck mate, all the best to the family when the babby arrives
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Machine » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:35 am

Cheers :)

I think it's started.... Charlotte using Tens machine at the moment, 'bout 7 minutes between each contraction first thing this morning.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Eh, eh.

Tell thee' wha'

Awesome kid already if it knows to wait until after games night to get Daddies attention eh eh eh tell thee wha!
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Chainsaws » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 pm

I'll leave the man himself to tell the tale but there is now a healthy mini-Mach and all are doing well.
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Machine » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:23 am

Ok, went to the hospital yesterday, cast has been removed, little stick leg inside.

Foot wobbles about on the end of the leg, not much movement in it. I can move it up and down abut a 5th of the way the other foot can do, but I can rest it on the floor ok. Obviously can't walk yet but docs have asked me to start putting weight onto it gradually. So feeling good I'm on the home stretch now, it's a long stretch but at least I can work on something now.

Hair has fallen out on the leg under the cast and lots of "pimples" all over it, sore skin too. Scars not too bad, big cuts on either side and holes on top.

First bath in 9 weeks felt good, but you know the joke "what do you call somebody with leprosy in a bath?" yes.... porridge... There was a heck of a lot of dead skin down there! All gone now.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:14 pm

All good news. I witnessed someone coming off their Harley at the level crossing this morning coming to work you know. Not as nasty as this but certainly shows the dangers. Defo a broken arm I'd say - there was a car involved, unscathed as it only 'caused' the biker to come off.

Get that let moving! Ask Oliver to jump on it, that'll make it move quick!

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Postby Chainsaws » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Kids are the only entity higher on the list of pain finders than doctors. Fact.
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Righto, time has come to look at Cars! I've got the cheque and cashed it in. It'll be about a month before I can drive so till then it's research... any opinions / previous experiance welcome..

I've put in about 30 quotes on Moneysupermarket and compiled a list of cars, insurance is going to be a much of a muchness I've narrowed it down to the below.. all cars are from around 51 -55 depending what my money can get.

Ford
Fiesta
Focus
Mondeo

Honda
Accord
Civic

Favourate at the moment is the Civic, even the type S is within reach, Type R is too expensive to buy and to insure. I know I know, the "Old man car" is the civic. :p I considered mazdas3 and 6 but too expensive for anything remotely newish, Toyotas but the only ones I like are the newish shapes and the silly cars like MR2 and Celica. All the euro makes I'm not interested in unless I see a stupid good deal on one.

MX5 is the next car, think I might have managed to clear that one! :o
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Mondeo? Just...no. I will cease to be your friend if you own one of these. (yes it's the most sensible choice but that's not the point)

I was considering the Seat Leon (and would have bought one if the dealer hadn't been a dick). I think the FR is the sporty one and it chuffing shifts, it's a diesel too so very economical and I don't think the insurance was mad on it either.

I doubt you'll go wrong with a Fiesta or Focus but they're a bit boring unless you get a sporty edition which will cost more to buy and insure.

My only advice would be to make sure the boot is HUGE, when you want to go shopping and you have a push chair, changing bag, bag with food and toys in and THEN you want to stock up with a fortnights shopping you'll be going home with most of it on the seats/your lap.

Oh yeah, Civics. They look nice whatever edition and the S isn't dramatically slower than the R, it should still be nippy. I can't comment on the Accord because I can't even think what one looks like.
Chainsaws

Postby bigd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:50 am

When I was looking at cars earlier this year mazda 3s were definitely the best value/money by far, they've got a ton of stuff standard that you won't get on anything else without shelling out a ton of cash. Unfortunately, the newer ones have an idiotic grinning front bumper which you almost certainly don't want.

Hondas are boorrrrrrring :(
bigd

Postby Machine » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Ok, had a look at Leons, the Curpra 1.8 v20 is indeed extremely fast, 7.5 to 60 which is probably the best I've seen so far on the hatchbacks I've been looking at. That matches a 2.0 MX5 yet the Seat is over £200 more on insurance than the MX5 so sadly not one I can pursue any further. The shape of the car is ok but I prefer the Civic over it - however, had the insurance been more reasonable I think I really would have gone for it. (Or if I'd had a couple of years no-claims)

I agree on the "boring" aspect of the Fiesta and Focus, there doesn't seem to be any semi-sporty models other than the Fiesta Zetec S, both have ST and RS models but they have sky high premiums.

I rechecked Mazdas at BigD recommendation, I could get a 3 or a 6 on my budget and they are very well equiped. I think I'll keep an eye on both these and the hondas. I disagree that hondas are dull, coming from it was anything but dull!

Out if interest I insured a v6 8 litre Dodge Viper, £8678 fully comp... excellent!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:11 pm

With my 90% no claims discount I could afford to insure that! Shame I can't afford the actual car.....

I want to like Mazdas but last time I looked, admittedly a few years ago, they all had utterly horrendous interiors.
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 pm

You need a family car. What about a VW, like a or something.

Fix

Postby Machine » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Oh yes, all the cars I'm looking at are 5 doors, but I don't want a VW, they're dull and overpriced. The Honda is only dull at least!

Chains, you'd be surprised... I've been looking at 1.8 Cupras this morning, 50k on the clock for under 3k. Quite reasonable I thought, there are Leons on there with 160k on the clock so they obviously arn't too shabby!

Another look at Focus's has rekindled the flame, A Focus or a Civic now, the insurance is too much on an ST170 which has a 0-60 of 8 seconds! The sportiest I stand the chance of getting is a Civic Type S, insurance is nearly the same as a 1.6 and it comes in a 5 door. I had one on autotrader in my price range but it's gone now! So keeping my eyes peeled.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Holy crap! I've just discovered that adding Charlotte as a named driver on my policy can reduce my premium by nearly 300 quid!! WTF! This has opened a few doors!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Quality build, but can be dull yes. Ever thought of a ?

Fix

Postby Machine » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:20 pm

No, drove an S70 in Ireland with Chris once, was patheticly underpowered an uninspiring. Built like tanks tho.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:57 am

OK, going to try and be up in Blackburn looking at a few cars I've spotted on the 4th December! If I get what I need then I'll be mobile again! YAY!

Also, I've fired out a few e-mails but has anybody got a walking stick I can use for a short while?
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Checked the finest charity shop in all of Hale, and there was nothing...

Fix

Postby Machine » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 am

Well, I went for the Mazda 6 in the end, 2.0 TS 2004 model in black. Looks pretty much like the one below.

Managed to pick one up with 55k on the clock for 3.2k which wasn't too bad I thought, they are known for being reliable and this one has had a FSH. I'm loving the the gadgets inside, cruise control, climate control, proper trip computer with number of miles to empty tank, av. miles per gallen etc... and it goes quite quick too! Handling is good and boot space is VAST.

Thanks for all your input! I should be back in the office in the next couple of weeks.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Mon May 13, 2013 4:42 pm

I live, again! [/thread ressurection]

As we're all in the habit of sharing the cars we end up with between ourselves coz we're men and men like cars and shit :D

I now own one of these , no prizes for guessing which one! Mine is black though. I also share Jeremy's sentiments on not wanting to drive Vectras... and since we all know Chains would cut all ties if I got a Mondeo that leaves you with your answer - and no, I'm not driving it like that tool Clarkson!

Looks like the MX5 is off until I shrink a little from old age :twisted: Gutted I didn't get a reversing cam like Fix has on his transport-mobile-thingy!

I'm hoping this will last me till hover cars come into fashion!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Chains, Speaking with Chris here at work, he's actually set a date to review getting his dream, the 3 MPS, next January.

You set a date on the Celica yet? Go on! You know you want to!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Wed May 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Will probably be about 18 months before I'm thinking about it seriously. I'm still happy with what I have at the moment but if I sell this I'd easily be able to afford another Celica.
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Thu May 23, 2013 8:13 am

Oh it's a date then! :D

Would any of you guys buy an electric car?
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion