[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - Headphones

Headphones

For everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Headphones

Postby Fix » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Looking for some new headphones.

Budget: £20-£30 (at a push)

Current headphones:
Pros: Stow away mic. Noise cancelling mic very good at cancelling noise and clear voice. Good sound quality, closed ear and felt touch - very comfy
Cons: A bit plasticy, can be quite 'tight' when used for long periods
Problem: Kids snapped them... temporary glued and taped.

Requirements: Headset + Mic in one, prefer 3.5mm jack to usb, wired.

I've always been a big Plantronics fanbouy... this is my third headset and every one of them has been fantastic value for money. Willing to sway elsewhere though this time. I'm not looking for 8 speakers in each ear, £80 headphones by the way... just some good, reasonably priced headphones will do.

Considering;
... again but fancy a change.

....but has USB connection. is the alternative model.
... upmarket, top of my budget, good reviews but paying for the name?

Thoughts or advice?

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Re: Headphones

Postby Machine » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:59 am

I had a look around but there's really not an amazing selection of closed ear headphones for under 30 quid, you have the best of the bunch there, that is... for PC HEADSETS... but, if you, as for a fiver you can just wire one of these up on your monitor - that opens up "hifi headphones" from some really well known brands... (I've sorted my amazon results by rating)

(Literally over a thousand reviews - I have Sennheisers, albeit not these)
basic looking but fantastic reviews.

So maybe you don't need a PC headset, because maybe they are overpriced? It could maybe open some more options for you?

Consider that once you sort your MIC, that going forward, you would never need to sort it again, it's done, it works, just get decent headphones that are designed for proper music, there are some on the PC market (Razor, Steelseries) that are just gimicky.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:01 am

Agree loads of gimicky headsets out there.

I had a seperate mic and headset setup for a long time, albeit an expensive pair of Sennheisers but machs point is valid.
These were heavy and tight and made my slightly deaf ear sore after a while (probably the trubass) so gave them to lem pretty much.

I switched back to a mic+headset a while ago but that was due to lazyness.

To be fair I use a basic logitech set now that aren't ear covering and they do me fine, they were 12 quid. I don't play many games that require amazing sound or rely on hearing anymore so you don't have to get the best out of it.
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:08 am

I'm still using my Zalman's and they are rock solid so I don't have much input here I'm afraid, Mach's suggestion is a good one though. I've got a little mic stuck above my monitor and it works great, the only downside maybe is that I can't talk quietly or I'm not heard, especially in a noisy game. The Zalman's are also a bit heavy and if I have them on for a few hours will start to give me a mild headache from the pressure needed to keep them from sliding down, I suspect though that this is because I'm a speccy four-eyes and they are making my gig-lamps dig into me rather than the headphones themselves.

I agree that a lot of 'gaming' headsets are cheap, plasticy and gimmicky.
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Machine » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:45 am

I seldom have issues hearing you chains, I'd actually never even thought about it so it works. Personally if my headphones break tomorrow and the modular parts approached 50 quid i'd be in the market for spending about that on a set of good hifi headphones, probably sennheisers, on your budget I'd say those, but there are some , especially if you step away ffrom gaming sets.

The 20 quid set will be great, be prepared to step up to 35 (so you can afford your mic setup) would also be good.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:21 pm

I never considered separate mic and headset but you lot have opened my mind a bit... that is why I posted I guess!

I'll check out these options and look for suitable standalone mics and let you know how I get on.

Fix

Postby Fix » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Okay after a short review I've shortlisted my options to;

+ mic attached to the cord.
but a bit concerned over the USB connection...
... exactly the same (even price wise) as my current set. Really good other than being a little plasticy.

Fix

Postby Machine » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:00 pm

If it was me, hands down Sennheiser, the sound will impress you over the others and I'd go so far as to say you'll be reluctant to switch brands afterwards.

Good idea on the clip, but you don't need to spend that much on it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-3-5mm-Ha ... s=mic+clip

I guess the only reason I wouldn't like it is that there'd be 2 wires instead of 1 for the headphones, whereas I can easily secure the mic to the monitor wire, a blob of blue tac and it pokes out just beneath my monitor.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 pm

I'm almost certain my mic is the Zalman one, it's ~1-2ft above the top of my head angled down at my face. I'd advise you to get one of those or another good quality one, unless you break it moving your monitor you will never replace it.

Of the three you've shortlisted to the Sennheiser ones look normal as opposed to plasticky, geeky headbands and I've heard good things about audio quality which Mach confirms first hand.

Don't go for USB connection, it sounds like a great idea but you know it will be all driver incompatibilities and audio latency until you get so enraged you crush the headphones into dust with your bare hands and have to buy another set.
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Yep agreed USB adds complexity (and therefore stuff that can go wrong) where there need not be any.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Did you sort this?
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:49 pm

No... still using cellotaped / superglued Plantronic Gamecoms

Still looking. The likelyhood is I'll go for a headset... as I'm not a sound snob like the rest of y'all and I might try a different brand... like the .

Great reviews, decent brand... low price. Can't be that shit.

Fix

Postby Machine » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 pm

But the Sennheiser's are cheaper and better? Oh well, it's your money!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:34 pm

You don't know they're 'better' for certain... plus the difference in price is practically the cost of a separate mic!

Plus I don't want a separate mic when I looked at my desk and the cables etc.

Fix

Postby Machine » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:39 pm

The Sennheiser's have over double the reviews but the Fatalities have a large enough number to be confident they'll be decent too. I'm sure you'll be happy with either purchase.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:40 pm

I think you might be a little old for a headset that has a 1 where the i should be. Just sayin. :P

I'd steer well clear of a gimicky tagline headset personally, but as Mach has already said, jump away.
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Chainsaws » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Go for it, make the shit decision and wallow in your own SHAME and FAILURE! You know it makes sense!
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Fucking sour cunts. I'll prove you all wrong!

Fix

Postby Chainsaws » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:48 pm

No, it's ok...ask our advice and then THROW IT IN OUR FUCKING FACES! We don't mind...pal.
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 am

You are going against the grain a little bro ;) Plus making a fuss about something which if you wire in well, will be nigh on invisible.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:35 am

They arrive today. Reviews are good all round with 3 / 4 reviews specifically stating how long these headphones lasted for the users (3 years+)

Fix

Postby Machine » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:09 am

Cool, make sure to write a review!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Okay, so I've been using my Creative Fatal1ty headset for a few days now.

Pros;
Neat, small
Good sound quality
No complaints on my voicecomms yesterday evening
Fatal1ty uses them!

Cons;
Not full ear coverage
Not as loud as my previous headphones (how is this even possible)
Quite light... I'd rather they felt they had a bit of mass to them.
Fatal1ty uses them!

Overall, not as good as my Plantronics in terms of comfort but sound / mic wise... the same if not slightly better (probably because they're new speakers in the ears) but tehy do a good job at being a headset and I won't be crying pound coin tears if my lads decide to tear them up next row they have about how many minutes more on Mincraft one had over the other.

Overall 7/10

Fix

Postby Machine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:24 pm

I hadn't noticed the change in your MIC so it's at least as good as the old one!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Fix can't hear in one of his now so he's on the market for new ones again! In an e-mail exchange we basicly replicated the first few posts of this thread.

I've just bought a replacement cable for the Sennheisers but their still solid.

Chains, you still on the Zalmans?
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Next

Return to General Discussion