[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - Tires

Tires

For everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Tires

Postby Machine » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Oh noes! Car related thread!

Whats the opinion here on spare tire vs. tyre weld? Chains does your mini even have a spare? Has anyone used either of these? I remember after the Celica crash what did the breakdown people do as it was on non-standard alloys?

I'm considering dumping my spare (spacesaver) for a can, figuring I have breakdown cover anyway and using the spacesaver will wreak the diff on a AWD car if used for any period of time anyway, other reasons for doing so, mainly it weighs a tonne (well, maybe ~20kg) so a slightly lighter car.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Re: Tires

Postby Fix » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:44 pm

The C4 has a full size tyre externally under the rear end under the boot. If I call out the AA, they'll fit it for me.

This is all I really have to say on it, tbh.

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Postby Chainsaws » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:49 pm

I think there's a can of goo. I wouldn't use it though as it destroys the tyre and Mini give you free breakdown for 3 years so I'd just call them out. 20 years ago a spare was essential but these days how often do tyres get so bad that you can't just pump them up and finish your journey or get to a garage. Stick a tyre pump in there instead and if you must a can of goo for an emergency where you're prepared to replace the tyre. If you put a different size spare on you'll have to keep your speed low until it's replaced, I was told not to go over 50mph.
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Machine » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:10 pm

I've read this "wreaks the tire" legend too, it seems that many tire companies would rather not clean the tyre out and so charge for a new one but it is apparently just fine to use for extended trips even. I absolutely wouldn't accept replacing the tire as they all need to be the same size on AWD, FWD you could get away with the back and front being different but side to side surely you'd notice?

I think in a hurry I'd just use a can, but your right, if I need I'll just call out the insurance breakdown cover instead.

Curious though how MINI sold you a car with a can of goo, why would they do that if it isn't ok to use?

EDIT : Also, your looking at 1-2mpg improvement and whatever performance improvement through weight reduction.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:33 pm

We had a tyre blow to pieces on the motorway (luckily not at speed) and had to use a spare.

They are generally a bit smaller and you ARE definately limited as they are meant to get you home/garage not to be a replacement tyre.
But we drove around on it fine for like 3 weeks :D
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Return to General Discussion