[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - PC within a Desk (Russian Doll PC Case Thing) [FINISHED]

PC within a Desk (Russian Doll PC Case Thing) [FINISHED]

For everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: PC within a Desk

Postby Machine » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:01 pm

You should of told them. What. that e-mail from ebay wasn't enough information for your pathetic excuse of a brain??
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Machine » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Ok, whilst I've been drained, the wife's been painting like a busy bee (I think secretly she likes painting), I've done some work tonight too and it's looking good, now we're on the fun part. Check it out....

Coat number 1

Shelf area for headphones etc... when not in use.

The front door, I think she's only done one side at the mo.

Tonight I did the chiseling and got these ready, didn't take long, MDF is easy to do this to.

Needed another coat.

Quick test to see what it's gonna look like.

I'd forgotten the feeling of opening a box of goodies from scan...

The final gray coat has only just tonight gone on after I did the chiseling so I can't do anything else now

Pleased with the finish so far...
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:53 pm

It's in! No pictures till I've sorted the fucking mess of wires!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Re: PC within a Desk (Russian Doll PC Case Thing)

Postby Machine » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:43 am

Well, aside from a few finishing touches it's done! Hope you've enjoyed following this as much as I've enjoyed building it (sad as it may seem it was quite fun) Tempratures inside the PC are CPU ~19 and GFX ~25, they get to about 30 and 50 under load which is well within acceptable ranges so very happy with that.

Click on the pictures to make them expand.

Clearance on each side is about 1-2mm
P1040602.jpg

Picture of inside showing fan flow directions
P1040603.jpg

Fan controllers, all on minimum for now which slows them right down.
P1040604.jpg

Magnetic clasp for keeping the door closed, also gives it a nice noise when you shut it.
P1040605.jpg

Yes, it's that fucking CPU cooler again...
P1040607.jpg

Next up... project CHAIR!

P1040608.jpg

I'm going to make it higher and change how it looks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Re: PC within a Desk (Russian Doll PC Case Thing) [FINISHED]

Postby Machine » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:03 am

Well.. the seat is indeed higher!!

Also cheapo usb led strip came, kinda cool!

Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:57 pm

One look at those light strip pics and I ordered one. Well on that!

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Postby Machine » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:20 pm

Haha, it did genuinely help with contrast too last night, but mainly, it looks awesome. Closer to the wall the better apparently.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Mine arrived today. Pictures later!

Fix

Postby Machine » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Awesome, I'll put some up too of a little something extra I'm building RE the monitor stand (sadly I can't now order the monitors through work and avoid VAT, so it'll be delayed). I can't wait to see the christmas lights fix!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:15 pm

Impressed with mine :)

, one of the modes (you'll guess which) will never be used, ever! But loads of options for £8.

To be honest, they'll be on solid white all the time, maybe purple when I play saints row :D

Only downside is the wire out the side and that there are only 3 buttons to control the lights. Colour. Speed. Mode. Getting to one you want if you change them is a case of keep pressing an unknown number of times to get back to where you were again!!

Fix

Postby Machine » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:39 pm

I love it and am now jealous! I really like the blue and purple as well as the white!

The animation modes are just bonkers!

Can't you hide the wire? I've taped it down on mine so it goes back on itself.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Yeah I can hide it behind the screen actually. The modes- there are so many... I can literally have it slowly going darker, slowly lighter.... Pumping Prince Purple Rain out now on the headhpones - fucking screen is pulsing purple too! Guitaaar solo!!!!

Fix

Postby Chainsaws » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Ha cool! At first I thought you'd edited that video to speed it up so it looked like you were loading a spectrum game! :D
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Fix » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:52 am

Nope you can have it that fast. You can also do

Fix

Postby Machine » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:23 am

Alright shut up now, wishing I'd got the coloured one already!
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:44 am

Hah, you've got me tempted now!
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:43 pm

I got a (nice) surprise today when Scan bloody delivered on a Sunday?! So everything but speakers is now sorted.... some pictures to show how things are laid out...

I've managed to hide the wires thanks to the stand having holders for them, mounted my £2 mic on the top :D

I'm pretty chuffed with this, I've made a nice "cartridge" for the back of the drawer, curved to match things, which means that the clamp for the stand will fit and not damage the desk, it's also a nice wee shelf for my wallet. My curves are a bit better now I've done a few.

Meg does seem to sit here, a lot.

Next job, a Green Shelf above those screens with some speakers on, I don't think I'll be building the speakers myself, after research it just turned out to be too bloody expensive. Like close to £100 per speaker.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Where did you guys get your led kits?
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:28 pm

£9 and it's better than Machs :P

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=261474741599

Fix

Postby Machine » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:48 pm

FUCK. OFF!

Not really, gonna get one for the Telly once it's back on the wall (it has a USB port which works on the white ones and even turns off when the telly is turned off)
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Machine » Sun May 28, 2017 3:52 pm

I've been building around my new case for a few weeks now, thought others might like to see...
DeskFront.JPG

I've managed with some clever airflow (there's a fan behind that right shelf funnelling air into the case) to keep temps at <30 cpu <45gfx when idle, and both below 65 when hammering things. The little hole on the left is so I can switch the PSU off without removing the shelving which will make cleaning the case easy. I can remove the side panel without moving the shelves out.
DeskAirflow.JPG

So wires still hidden when looked at from afar, but fancy new computer on show :) Shelve units can just be lifted out when required.
P1070147.JPG

Lots of storage space for computer related guff.
P1070148.JPG

Don't think I'll ever get a case with hard drive cages again, or one without a "basement"
P1070149.JPG

Second external fan just pushing the air away from the back of the case.
P1070150.JPG

All fans on minimum speed so is a very quiet machine, the 2 in the front of the case actually don't come on until the temps hit 50 so when you arn't using the PC, you can't hear it anymore :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Mon May 29, 2017 11:13 am

I would personally need more leg space but wood-work-wise very good considering its all self-taught.

Fix

Postby Chainsaws » Mon May 29, 2017 11:44 am

Looks great! You've put a lot of effort in there and it shows!
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Mon May 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks! It really is a case of lots of measuring, testing, cutting then taking every bit you do and checking it twice over. Soon as I rush I fuck it up.

Leg space isn't too bad, I've taken to putting my toes under the PC since this one is quite high compared to the last.

I'm going to make some changes to the back of the desk next where the monitors hook on, I'll take some pictures of before, during and after the process.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Previous

Return to General Discussion