[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Unforgiven Reborn Forums • View topic - Availability 2010

Availability 2010

For discussing regular gaming nights and what we'll be playing.

Re: Availability 2010

Postby Fix » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Sound explanation Agg.

As a marine I melee and if the alien stumbles, I almost always win a head on clash only dying through the acid blood or whatever if health is low. I knew about the heavy attacks unlike Chains.

Fix
Agrees to be a team player as long as there's only him in the team.

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Right, I obviously didn't explain this. I fully understand heavy, light and block moves. What my problem was last night is this situation:

I am a predator.
Enemy is alien.
I do a light attack, alien blocks.
I bounce off, still on my feet.
Something happens (I can never make out the movement involved)
I am now on my ass, defenceless until killed (as in no controls work, I just watch him try to stand up).

What happened?

I can understand the light vs heavy attacks and that I will be stunned if I balls it up but it's frustrating to be consistently knocked over and killed in one move when it takes me three successful rounds of rock paper scissors to win a fight. Last night I had to fight three times harder than the other players who obviously 'get it' in order to win an encounter.
Chainsaws
Veteran of the battle of Forrum Rood.

Postby Aggamemnon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Heavy attack, as explained in the first example of my previous post (and last night).
note in Bold added for clarity.

Next time you go over, hit light attack a few times. Unless they block, you will either exchange blows, or die.

Basically if I block, then Knock you over (heavy A), hit me back!
You can still attack when they do it, even if it doesn't seem like you can. Instinctively you will think you are disabled, not the case.

Same when playing as a marine. You get jumped by the alien, he has heavy attacked you (tail, or lunge doesn't matter) you go over. You hit melee until you swing and gunbutt him, shoot his face off. (most likely die anyway without a shotgun but nm).

My advice is to wind up a heavy attack as soon as you see the alien (should auto lock to lunge as well).
My first action when seeing an alien too close for comfort is to melee them as marine, shooting won't kill them before they are on you (unless its a nade)
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
00:52 - Aggamemnon: she is a fucking man dude
00:52 - Sev: eww
Aggamemnon
TuF communications engineer.

Postby Fix » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:56 am

Well, am I posting in the AvP thread or the the 'I'M FUCKING ONLINE TONIGHT' thread? haha.

Merry Christmas! FEEEEEeed thur WOOOOOOOOOOORRLEEEED! HOOOAWOOH!

Fix

Postby Aggamemnon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:12 pm

I'll be here to heavy attack chains until he rage quits! :twisted:
00:52 - Sev: How am I gay when I frequently engage in sexual relations with your mother
Aggamemnon

Postby Chainsaws » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:27 pm

I'll be here to rage attack you until you heavy quit.
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:04 am

Ok games last night, enjoyed the team DM very much, the other modes I'm a bit meh about - I still think Left 4 Dead does the survival thing better - hit the nail on the head last night, it needs more maps and a point to point mode where marines must reach such and such a place.

Infestation found myself not giving a shit until I was an alien which was normally too late to have any fun with it, and team DM I'd literally never pick marines, they are as dull as dishwater. Chains is correct, Aliens need some way of "dropping to ground" or altering their orientation indepentant of aim, i.e jump down, left, right etc... I honestly think the transistions were better in the first AvP - everything else seems better in this one tho.

I think next week I'll hold out till you guys are on this mode or go play BC:2
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:54 am

FOR THE LAST TIME THERE IS A DROP KEY! Its the transition key! default 'e' I think. It should just drop you from wherever you are stuck on. I've personally never had an issue, but I do tend to fumble the keys sometimes, as with Pred.

We played BF2 when you went, should of stayed if you could as the games were flippin' awesome!

Fix

Postby Chainsaws » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:29 am

Ok, FOR THE LAST TIME the transition key does NOTHING if you have auto transition on which I do because I don't enjoy getting murdered while examining the lovely selection of wall textures. Normally I'm well ahead of where I want to run and am ready for the disorienting spins but sometimes, in very tight bends, it just gimps out a bit or , worse, you can't engage combat properly from on a wall and if I clip the bottom of a wall when I'm charging I want to be able to get off fast and attack without running around in a circle.

It's a good game but I still see it burning out fairly quickly. We'll have had our money out of it though so I'm not complaining.
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:22 pm

I'll check this but I don't have auto transition turned on because I hate the way I snap onto ledges when I don't want to - it does it enough with it turned off!

The main problem now I think is the amount of maps, and the loading - I can't even get a map list up, but maybe it can be modded yet, who knows?

Fix

Postby Aggamemnon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:18 pm

I also have it off, the wall transition key drops me (mine is middle mouse, so the use key I assume).

I find the best way to transition is to jump to walls not run up them.
Aggamemnon

Postby Fix » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:16 pm

YEAH SO NEERRRR! it DOES!

Fix

Postby Aggamemnon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Lem also uses auto transition and he can drop, I'm guessing maybe it's not normally keymapped or you are using the wrong function.
Aggamemnon

Postby Chainsaws » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Space is my default transition and that does nothing. I'll check my controls, if I know it's possible it's just a matter of finding out how.
Chainsaws

Postby Fix » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:04 pm

TONIGHT THANK GOD ITS THEM, INSTEAD OF YOOOOOU, because its GAMING tonight peeps - what we going on first?

Fix

Postby Machine » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:47 pm

I'll try and be around, might just jump on BC2 or join you in AVP if you've got it up. Had a blast on SP in AVP and I get the HtH combat now.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Chainsaws » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:35 pm

I'll be on. May take a nosey on the minecraft server before jumping right into some BF.
Chainsaws

Postby Aggamemnon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:04 am

Jee Jee's on Battlefield again. Game has fun and stamina, does so many things right.

Wasn't keen on the massive fields level, again because of a distinct lack of vehicles meaning too much jogging around.
New Urban map is immense though.
Aggamemnon

Postby Machine » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:06 am

The open fields map I love going as Engineer, so many people in tanks to take down, I think we did distinctly well to beat them on that map, normally players get stuck on the first objective.

Great pair of games for me, sorry I couldn't be around for longer.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Fix » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:56 am

I liked the large open map, but it doesn't suit the play style of bad company as its more, in-yoo-face, close up full force & punchy rather than standoff-over-long-distances kind of playing. It would work with 32+ players on I reckon. Also there were only 3 points in a huge open corridor basically, so it was only really B you needed to keep control, it would have benefited splitting the centre up into two more points, so there is at least a little incentive to move forward from B.

Other games were top notch as always, I think our teamwork generally, is sterling.

Fix

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 am

Yeah, got to say I really hate maps that are too open. Sniper isn't my favourite class and I find it really frustrating to get constantly taken down in one shot because there is no cover in a massive open field and I didn't want to be a sniper and sit at the base picking off other snipers.

The maps where there is a mix of cover and open are ok because snipers aren't king.

I agree about the teamwork, I think the only thing we could improve is the communication when we spawn. I know I'm not the only one to get frustrated when I spawn and die, maybe when someone is spawning on us we can take cover and watch for them spawning to cover them while they get their bearings.
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:42 am

Would suggest you ask the player before spawing on them, unless they see you die and are waiting specifically.
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

Postby Aggamemnon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:47 am

Indeed, bit much to assume we know when you are gonna spawn.

Communicating info is fine, it's peoples not listening that's the problem. Loads of times I would indicate something (more than once) then 2-3 min later be asked about the very same thing I just shouted about. (tank, getting flanked, ammo, bad spawn, switch group etc etc.).

Maybe people have the flashy effects too loud! :D

Personally like mixed type servers as well, better than same map x20 or stuck on the same game mode.
Good idea to stick to 24+ servers as well, now that more of us are playing regularly, hard to get same teams otherwise (although I do enjoy killing Kasto :twisted: )
Aggamemnon

Postby Chainsaws » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Yeah, I meant more that we need to say we're spawning and the person we're spawning on needs to say when it's safe/best to do so rather than just beaming in without warning.

I think we could probably learn when to retreat too rather than do or die :D
Chainsaws

Postby Machine » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:18 pm

What does that word mean? Ret-reat? how do you even SAY IT?
Machine
Destroyer of Rhubarb

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Nights